This popcorn is so amazing. Sweet. Buttery. Lemony. Oh so good!
We love popcorn at our house and usually we eat it drenched with grass fed butter and sea salt, which is amazing! We try not to eat too much sugar, but we love to make special treats occasionally. One day recently I was wanting something sweet and for some reason kettle corn crossed my mind. Then I started dreaming up a sweet buttery popcorn with a hint of lemon essential oil because there is just something amazing about lemon and butter together. This is so absolutely delicious! My first batch turned out tasting yummy but the popcorn was a little soggy. The second time I added in the baking time and it was a hit! It is still crisp like popcorn should be, but with a sweet coating with a light lemon taste. My family devoured a whole cookie sheet that afternoon and the kids raved over it!
It is so easy to put together but requires a little bit of baking time. It is perfect for a family game or movie night or just an anytime sweet treat that isn’t too awful for your body.
First start by preheating the oven to 250 degrees. Then start popping your popcorn! I popped one cup of corn and used organic multi colored popcorn that we order from Azure. I love the multi colored corn and I try to go with organic anytime we are eating corn products. I pop mine on the stovetop by putting 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a saucepan. I then add the corn and cover the pan with a lid. Place it over medium high heat and make sure to shake the pan as you pop it. You could just air pop this as well or however you prefer to pop it!
Once it is popped, place the popped corn in a large bowl to cool while you prepare the topping.
To make the topping place 2 sticks of butter, 1 cup organic sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a small saucepan. Stir this together well and continue to stir occasionally while it comes to a boil.
Boil for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool for about 5 minutes.
Once it is cool you can add in your Lemon Vitality oil! This oil is amazing and I love the fresh citrusy taste it gives the popcorn! I used 6 drops and it left a subtle refreshing lemon flavor. You could add a little more if you want a stronger lemon flavor.
Now pour the sugar mixture over your popped corn and mix it all together really well. You want to do your best to coat each piece. Although I personally don’t mind those few pieces that are coated a little extra with the crispy sugar!
Now spread your popcorn onto 2 cookie sheets. Place them in the oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring it around every 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and enjoy! Store the leftovers in an airtight container or Ziploc bags. Though if you enjoy this as much as we did, it might not last long!
Sweet Citrus Popcorn
1 cup organic popping corn
2 sticks butter
1 cup organic sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6-8 drops Lemon Vitality essential oil
- Pop your popcorn using method you prefer. Place the popped corn in a bowl to cool while you prepare the sugar glaze.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a small saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring frequently. Boil this mixture for 5 minutes and then remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in Lemon oil to your sugar glaze mixing well. 6 drops gives a nice subtle lemon flavor but you can add more if you want it stronger.
- Pour the sugar glaze over your popped corn and mix well doing your best to coat each piece.
- Spread the glazed corn onto 2 cookie sheets. Place cookie sheets in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.